Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Merging is a New Journey - Now I Can Rest

Our most recent previous pastor, Pastor Peggy Fabrizio, came to our last Worship Service.  It was great to see her.  She had actually been with us when we started the thought process and decision process to go from a congregation on our own to a merged congregation.

We all went to brunch after the service (thanks to Perkins Restaurants for being the host to a crazy loud bunch of church people!) and Pastor Peggy joined us.  When we were all leaving, as she said goodbye to me, she said, "Now you can rest." And I said, "Yes, I can."

For many years, I had taken care of many things in the church.  I was Lay Leader, which meant I was preaching when the pastor was unavailable.  I was liturgist at least once a month.  I assisted with Communion.  As time went on, I also was the sound person and the projector operator, though usually not both at the same time for the entire service - I shared duties with my sister.  I counted the collection plate money after service and made sure it got deposited right away.  Took notes at meetings.  Tried to keep people up-to-date with photos and messages on Facebook.  And probably more that I didn't list.

But, I have not really rested.

And it is just about time to rest.

Not resting so that I become a "pew potato" - but being able to sit back, really listen and learn from others, grow in my faith, and re-learn how to be a member of a church.

Sometimes those of us in leadership positions forget how to rest.  We get hung up in all the things we need to do, that we forget we need to recharge ourselves too.  Whether that is through prayer.  Hearing a good sermon.  Sitting in on a Sunday School class.  Or just fellowshipping with others and not having to have come in early to make coffee or set up a snack.

I have so much going on in my life.  But I am looking forward to my time of rest as I reflect on what God has in store for me next.

My niece Anastasia (2015) helping me decorate the tree. A busy but also rest-filled moment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment