Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Thoughts on Audience Targets and Ill-Advised PR Rules #MaristSM16

Below is my response to blog posts by Jannelle and Steve for Week 4's Discussion - Group 2
 
This week our readings focused, essentially, on knowing your audience.  Knowing one's audience has been something drilled into me, not just for this program but in other things I have done in my life.  While the concept of knowing one's audience was familiar to me, the way to go about doing so, from a social media or public relations perspective, was new to me.
 
Kerpen (2015) had an area in this week's readings that directly focused on how to reach the target audience with a series of statements aimed directly at the reader.  To create my own question in the same vein, and relate it to this week, I would say "just because you are a woman does not mean you do not want to watch the Superbowl."  The point was this,"No, you likely want to hear from companies and organizations based on your specific stated needs and interests" (Kerpen, 2015, p. 33).  He also makes a great point stating,"In the long run, the organizations that will win are the organizations that engage in positive, useful communications with their customers and prospects" (p. 41)

Scott also spent time, in his old rules vs. new rules format, on the same issue regarding an audience.  In the past, marketing and public relations focused on reaching the most amount of people to encourage them to buy a specific product or service.  Scott (2015) said, "Readers of my blog and those who have seen my talks know that I am very critical of the old return on investment (ROI) approach to measuring marketing and public relations success, an approach still popular today" (p. 183).  Though each approached the subject matter in different ways, both Kerpen and Scott know that the old way of marketing and public relations just does not work as it used to.  People expect a more personal approach not just in social media interaction but in marketing and public relations as well.

Question 1: Do you think P&G successfully identified and engaged its target audience with #ThankYouMom?
 
You know, I was just thinking about the #ThankYouMom campaign last week.  I do not remember if it was because of one of the blog posts I read or something in our class Facebook group.  So I am glad that we have the opportunity to revisit this campaign.  Even though I have learned that the commercials still make me cry.  (haha!)
 
I definitely think P&G successfully identified and engaged its target audience.  I remember from discussions last year that there was concern because in some families it was not necessarily the mother who took care of the child or brought the child to skating practice or whatever.  But I think re-watching the ad, though it featured mothers and their children, it made me think of my parents, both my mom and my dad.  Emotionally I was tied to the mother-child relationship and that might have been the original target audience for P&G.  But here is something kind of funny.  That ad was aired during the Olympics in 2014.  I do not remember seeing the ad much after the Olympics were over.  So my thought is, was the target audience actually very specific to parents of athletes or the athletes themselves as opposed to it being a general parent/child relationship?  If that is the case, P&G was very strategic to have such a specific audience in mind, but still be able to relate to non-athletic families, like myself, who thought more about thanking my parents for other things, like supporting me during my graduate school journey.
 

Question 2:  Expanding on Scott's example of leaders still using old rules of PR, write about one rule by leaders in your workplace that you believe is ill-advised in this new world of social media marketing. How would you go about explaining to leaders why a new approach is critical?

As I started my blog post, I used a quote from Scott (2015) speaking about the Return on Investment (ROI) way of marketing.  I think often at the higher education level a lot is placed on the number of students accepted at a school and how many students that school graduates a year.  While those numbers are impressive, I think a focus needs to change in terms of what the education establishment itself does as opposed to statistics on accepted and graduated students.  Being an employee and alumni of Marist College has had great benefits, not just in terms of what is offered (like free education) but also the pride of being a #RedFoxForLife.  Social media allows those who have pride in their place of education and employment to share that pride not just with those in their personal network but around the world, where ever their social ties reach.  Yes, having money come in from new students is a good thing.  But being able to see the reach of Marist outside of the campus environment and through social media is a much larger benefit, I think.  And it is one we should definitely expand upon.



Kerpen, D. (2015). Likeable social media. (2nd ed.). United States: McGraw Hill Education.

Scott, D. M. (2015). The new rules of marketing and PR. (5th ed.). Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 


4 comments:

  1. Jenn,
    Thank you for your thoughtful and very thorough response. The P&G ads don't make me cry, but that could be because I'm not the audience! The P&G campaign is a useful example of an emotional appeal to a targeted audience. Sure, everyone has a mom and can share in the joy. But, it was a campaign to mothers. P&G did its research and targeted moms.
    I had to laugh at all the water cooler talk in our office this week over Mountain Dew's Super Bowl ad featuring the puppy monkey baby. The room is divided among haters and lovers of the commercial. And guess what? The haters don't drink Mountain Dew. The lovers do. Mountain Dew went after its target audience with this ad. It also banked on buzz and controversy from everyone else to give it brand recognition. It ended up trending on twitter. I believe it's a brilliant campaign even though many people, including me, didn't like it. Everyone's talking about it three days later.

    Your comments about the #RedFoxforLife campaign make perfect sense and I agree. I've been a believer in the Jack Maguire model of enrollment management where research and retention are critical components. Unfortunately, some admissions offices focus only on recruiting. Successful colleges are ones that utilize the entire college - all departments - even alumni and community leaders as part of the process. Again, it's not only knowing your audiences, but using them effectively to reach your goals. I hope Marist listens to your advice!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen,

      I was hoping someone would address the absence of dads in the Thank You Mom campaign.

      #ThankYouMom also launched a digital release of "Best Job" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLeFfJ1XuEk), a short film that celebrates the role moms play in raising not only Olympians, but great kids (P&G, 2012, para 3). Maybe it’s the coach in me, or just that athletics has been a paramount part of my life, but I really connected with this commercial. Personally, I appreciated the message of the ad and remember immediately sending it to my dad the first time I saw it. Regardless of who that special person in our lives is that is on the sidelines and supporting our dreams, the ad is about love and support. Steve brings up a great point about controversy generating brand recognition. However, I do think P&G could have been more inclusive and shown a dad or two on the sideline.

      P&G definitely hit a homerun with this #RealDadMoments Dove Men+Care ad:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jpb2_YdxYM

      References:
      P&G. (2012, April 7). Proctor and Gamble Launches Global Thank You Mom Campaign. Retrieved from:
      http://news.pg.com/blog/thank-you-mom/procter-gamble-launches-global-thank-you-mom-campaign

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenn,

    You bring up an interesting point about educational institutions needing to consider social media as an additional set of “metrics” to base their ROI. I’m also a Marist alumni (class of 2013), so hello to a fellow #RedFoxForLife! Today, I keep up with happenings at Marist primarily through social channels (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram). And now, there are even more options for receiving content, as you can follow specific accounts (i.e. the School of Communication & the Arts or the Fashion program). Social media has provided an outlet where students past, present and future can attest to the positive experiences they’ve had at the school, which in my opinion speaks louder than plain numbers about the acceptance rate or similar. By utilizing social media, institutions such as Marist form an invaluable community of advocates.

    As Kerpen (2015) discussed in this week’s readings, organizations have to focus on the customer – their hopes, dreams, and “the things they want to do, hear about, talk about and share” (p. 47). The content has to be relevant, and taking Marist as an example, those who need and want to be “in the know” about Marist happenings are provided with that information – whether an announcement about the college’s new president or the basketball team’s next home game – in a timely, engaging manner. Yes, you can also find that information on a traditional website or via email, but social media makes people feel as though they are a part of something larger.

    Reference:
    Kerpen, D. (2015). Likeable social media (2nd ed.). McGraw Hill Education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenn,

    When I first saw Procter & Gamble’s “Thank You Mom” campaign, I definitely had a moment where I wondered about the absence of dads. I think with so many depictions of fathers teaching and coaching their children through sporting activities crossing my path through various media, it was easy for me to make that observation quickly.

    Thinking about our texts, though, I remembered how Scott (2015) reminds us that advertising needing to appeal to the masses is an old marketing rule that needs to be thrown out (p. 20). Although it is a tough shift to make, trying to incorporate everyone into a message and reach the masses with a campaign is not the way brands will be successful.

    In the case of Procter & Gamble, I think the company did the right thing when identifying its key audience as moms and speaking directly to them, without fearing it was leaving out other audiences. The message is meaningful enough to transfer to different family scenarios and to create positive feelings for the brand in non-mom audiences – but it was most successful in following Kerpen’s (2015) advice for companies to create messaging that is about its specific customer (p.63).

    Although this campaign was launched a few years ago, I did think it was cute that the Facebook page took the time to honor dads and the #DadDo recently. I’ve been there with the #DadDo. It wasn’t pretty.

    References

    Kerpen, D. (2015). Likeable social media (2nd ed.). United States: McGraw Hill Education.

    Scott, D.M. (2015). The new rules of marketing & PR (5th ed.) Hoboken, New Jersey:
    John Wiley & Sons.

    ReplyDelete