Pages

Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Wednesday's Writing - Quiet Time

It's kind of this funny thing I have with Anastasia. When I bring her to Long Dock Park for a sunset, or most of a sunset, we spend time first by the water. Which she loves because she collects rocks, and shells, and sometimes sea glass when she can find it. But while I sit on a rock or sturdy part of a tree and watch her, she always says, "I love to sit by the water to watch it." Which is what I say all the time. But I laugh when she says it because she never sits by the water to watch it.

I learned recently it is easy to sit by the water and watch it when you are alone. You are left to your own thoughts and can sit as long as you want while watching the water either be still or move. You don't have to worry about holding anyone else up - but yourself. Water washes on the shore and back out again. You experience waves from boats and things on the river. Or even the wind. 

The water on 6/19/2023

But sometimes when you are with someone else, it can be a little more awkward to experience that same sense of peace and time on your own. The water is still the same. The thoughts are probably still the same. However, for me, there is a sense that I do have my own time table for things. But don't want to inconvenience the other person. Even though they are just as willing to just sit and watch the water too.

Quiet time is quiet time no matter where it is or who it is with. And it is actually really nice when you know someone who is a bit like you who actually does like to sit by the water and watch it...quietly. Even if you feel that it is awkward just sitting in the quiet. I am learning that time with people does not always have to be filled with words. Sometimes just the natural sounds are enough.

1 comment: