Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2020

Thursday Thoughts - A lot of times I get it WRONG

 I had several ideas come to my mind for today's Thursday Thoughts.  I thought about writing a post about 2020, but that will be more suitable in 3 weeks (December 31st).  I've already written about music a lot.  I'm trying to stay away from church-related posts to save those for my Monday series.

What a pretty sky... 11/19/2020

So I got to thinking how a lot of the time, I get things wrong.  Very wrong.  WAAAAY WRONG!

Don't worry.  The picture I shared isn't an example of getting things wrong.  I just like to share photos because, well, they make my copied blog posts look nicer!  And, I think that is a time when I got the picture pretty okay.  Maybe not right.  But definitely not wrong!

I mostly get things WAAAAY WRONG when it comes to people.

I have a hard time figuring out when I meet people if they are nice or not.  If they are possessive or not.  If they are mean or not.  If they are real or not.  And yes, if it is a guy, if they would be interested in me or not.

I have gotten it wrong a lot of the time.

A. LOT. OF. THE. TIME.

Which results in me hurting a lot of the time.

It feels like the older I get, the harder it is to figure it all out.

I didn't have a ton of friends in school (any grade or level).  But the people I got to know who became my friends I could tell right away that they were true to how I encountered them.

But as I got older, it seemed to be harder to tell from first impressions.

There are notable exceptions.  My bestie Jess is like my twin.  We have so many of the same likes and dislikes.  Strangely enough through different means, we also have some of the same friendship circles.  And, back in times when it wasn't so strange to think about taking a train down to NYC, it was so nice to finally find someone who was like me...HATES TO RUSH TO THE TRAIN.  We both would rather have the time to eat something and then walk down and wait for the train to open so we have easy choice of seats then run through Grand Central and hope to find seats together going the right direction.

But, I was engaged to someone who I thought was nice, accepted me for who I was, and I would be happy with.  Totally did NOT see the possessive side where I couldn't do anything on my own and where I lost myself.  Also did not see the "I have to show off how smart I am and you are just so dumb" side either.

I liked someone who turned out to be really mean.  And here's the kicker.  It wasn't until just recently when I put things together and realized how mean this person was to me. 

Because, a lot of times I get it WRONG.

Unfortunately, however, that has put me in this very strange place as I am meeting more and more new people.  I like to think the best of people upon first meeting them.  And, I'd say about 99% of the time, that is the best way to go about it.  And so far, I have been right...at least as far as I can tell.  It's the 1% that I am worried about.

But I think the point is, sometimes we all get it wrong.  It just depends on how we handle it when we find out.  It is okay to be wrong because no one is right all the time. And I think I need to remind myself of that, because when I get it wrong, I really (REALLY) beat myself up over it.  Like the example above about the mean person.  I have really come down on myself for it, mostly because I didn't realize it sooner.

So...here's hoping that my discernment track record has improved (or will improve)...and while I will still get it wrong, maybe it won't be as often as it has in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment