Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2020

Thursday Thoughts - 2020 Blessings

 If you ask most people, you probably would not hear the year "2020" combined with the word "blessings."  Granted, it was a hard, tough year.  I'm currently writing this as I am slowly recovering from probably the worst headache/migraine in all of 2020, including the horrific one Christmas morning.

But, I wanted to spend some time thinking of all the good that happened in 2020.

The pandemic was really bad.  Having to be separated from people, even as an introvert, was not the most fun thing.  But being stuck home for months did have some positive things going for it.

Sparkle tells me it's time to stop work (3/2020)


My job was pretty easy to transition to remote work.  There are visual and physical aspects of my job that did require an on-site presence.  I had a great team of students to help with that while I was home.  But for months, I had my constant companion Sparkle by my side while I worked.  She would wake and want to go out when I needed a break.  She would snuggle when I was stressed.  She would lean on my arm when it was 5pm and time to stop work.  I got to sleep in a bit and wear comfortable clothes.  And I had a job, which I know others couldn't say.

Jessica and I at Perkins (3/2020)

It was a time of transition, as our church in Wappingers prepared to merge with Poughkeepsie UMC.  We did have to wait months for this to complete, due to the pandemic.  BUT!  Before that, we got to spend a meal together with the faithful remnant which was full of laughter and good food.  The fact that we did that a week before things went crazy is a blessing to me.

The sign my sister had made (5/2020)

In the midst of a pandemic, working from home, and not having the usual resources available to me, I completed my 3rd Master's Degree, an MBA.  Though there was no ceremony to celebrate the accomplishment, I took the day off to enjoy what would have been my graduation day.  I received flowers from my bosses, this sign from my sister, and she also arranged a "card shower" from family and friends.

On a hike with Jessica and Anastasia (7/2020)


I got outside more in 2020.  I went on typically easy hikes alone or with my family.  I've been to Locust Grove's trails a few times, we attempted a trail at Bowdoin Park that turned out to be quite confusing and hard, went to the Walkway Over the Hudson, and I even took walks around my neighborhood.  I would not say I am an expert hiker nor one who likes super rocky climbs/paths.  But I do like to get outdoors more for walks.

My bestie Jess and I finally got to Bannerman's Island, after passing it on two trips to New York Comic Con in the summer.  It actually was one of the better times to go, because of social distancing, not as many people were allowed on the boat and thus not as many people on the island.

The day after the merger (7/2020)


Our merger finally did happen in July, 2020.  A sad time that has led to so many blessings.  I've written about them before, so I won't go into it again.  But while it was a time that I was apprehensive about, it has truly been one of the great blessings of 2020.

Outdoor worship (10/2020)

I experienced socially distant outdoor worship, which I hadn't done in a long time.  I seem to remember a summer outdoor service somewhere, when my family first attended Wappingers, but that tradition seemed to go away.  I think, though, because more people are comfortable coming to an outdoor space for worship in this time, we will see more of this.  And I am looking forward to it!

By the Marist Tree (12/2020)


The Marist Tree again lit up like a beacon of hope.  There was a virtual tree lighting ceremony instead of everyone gathering.  But, even in the midst of things being cancelled or change in light of everything going on, knowing that this tradition of lighting this tree with so many lights continues on, gives me a sense of hope for the future.

Pastor Jody preaches in the rain and wind on Christmas Eve (12/2020)

Christmas Eve was not the day I expected.  It was windy in the morning and I wound up singing.  It was windy and rainy at night and I got soaked but it was such a wonderful experience.  And it was just what I needed.

And that is not to mention being able to reconnect with my friends from high school through weekly Zoom chats, being able to be with my family through the pandemic where others were not, starting new adventures, making new friends, seeing my bestie Jess finish her Master's Degree, watching Anastasia grow and do well in school even though she is not a fan of virtual learning, learning new worship songs, rediscovering my love of music, a stronger faith in God, and many other things.

Yes, 2020 had an overabundance of bad news and bad things happening.

But for me, there were many blessings too.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment