Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2021

Thursday Thoughts - Getting Back to "Normal"

Roughly 15 months ago, everything in New York State shut down and I started working from home, like a lot of people did.  Some people were just home.  Some continued to work in their location due to the essential service they provided.  If you went out, you had to wear a mask.  You had to stay 6 feet from people.  Stores were limited in the number of people they could have in them.  No one ate in a restaurant, with some increasing their to-go capabilities.

Now, things are changing here in New York.

Not that things will ever be back to the way they used to be - but in some ways, things seem to be getting back to "normal" whatever that is now.

A welcome welcome sign

When I arrived to work today, I saw a familiar but missed sign - the "Welcome to Orientation" sign.  This was not present last year as Orientation took place completely online.  There really was no on-campus experience as other summer programs were cancelled or done virtually.  Some programs are being done virtually once again this year.  But, here is just one sign of things coming back.

There was a milestone yesterday at work that said if we were vaccinated, we could take our masks off (if we felt comfortable doing so) in our offices and throughout buildings.  It was so strange seeing people walk through my area and seeing their WHOLE face and not just part of their face.  I've been experiencing this at church too, not recognizing people because I have literally only known them as a masked face.  Some people I have been able to see in other ways, like through Zoom or while singing together at safe distances.  But others I had no idea what the rest of their face looked like.

My first experience in a store without a mask on was in Target last weekend.  It felt so weird walking around without a mask on after it being routine to put a mask on while getting out of the car, walking into a store, then walking out of the store and taking it back off once inside my car.

What I do find difficult is knowing which stores or locations are continuing requiring masks and which ones have left it optional for vaccinated individuals.  Some places have it posted quite clearly.  Other places have simply removed signs.  Some places are confused - they have removed door signage, but still have things outside their doors that say masks are required.  I just wish after so long, they would put signs up that were just as big and clear as the "you must wear a mask" to say "masks are optional."

I will still carry a mask or two in my car and on my person.  Because I might be with someone who isn't vaccinated (like my niece, who can't be - and if she has to wear a mask, I will wear one with her!) or may feel more comfortable having anyone they are with wear a mask too.  Or there are places I know will still require a mask (the chiropractor's office for example).

But some things seem to be getting back to partially the way they used to.  And that is quite an adjustment to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment