Pages

Monday, September 6, 2021

Merging is an Ongoing Journey - Hanging Out with A Friend

 Back in high school I was involved in our church's youth group.  We liked to encourage other people to come to be part of our group, so I (and others) routinely invited our friends from school to join us in activities.  It was great because there weren't a lot of people in the church my own age, so having my friends there was really a lot of fun.

But as I grew older in church, I found that there was a separation between my church friends/family and my non-church family.  It was strange if you happened to run into someone you knew from church in somewhere that wasn't church - like the grocery store, a mall, or a restaurant.  Not a bad strange, just like a surprising strange that usually became a highlight of my day.

However, now as part of my journey, it seems that I am experiencing friendship within and outside of a church setting, with at least a few people.

The Wanamaker Organ 9/3/2021

Friday (9/3) I got to experience a road trip with a friend from church to do something that had nothing related to church.  And that was to see and hear the Wanamaker Organ in Philadelphia, PA.  This is the largest organ in the world (if you use an organ's ranks as a guide).  It was a long day, but a good one.  A safe trip down.  Being able to see and hear the organ.  Not getting lost.  Talking a lot.  Having lunch at, of all places, FRIENDLY'S (so glad I came across it).  I did a bit of singing to my driving mix.  Being able to stop at Wawa for my French Vanilla Cappuccino drinks. Driving home with some silence and some talking.

We so often think that you have to keep your church family/friends separate from your personal family/friends.  The only time you see and spend time with people from church is at church or some church-related function.  And that is a great way to get to know people better, so I'm not saying that is bad.  But what I have learned through my time at PUMC is that you don't necessarily have to keep those friendships within church events.  I know there are other gatherings that happen between church people that are outside the normal bounds of church.  And while church stuff may be discussed, it's not like a forced meeting or discussion - it happens naturally.

I'm hoping to have more of those experiences - not sure when, but at some point in the future!  It was a great day, and it would be nice to have more days like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment