Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Three classes down, Seven to go!

It's been another few months since I last posted here.  I was basically slogging my way through a 6-week summer course that really had everything completed in 5 weeks and I am typically used to 8 weeks.  So it's been a little over a month push to finish. 

The class itself (Research Marketing) was very interesting.  But it was a lot of effort to get through it.  We had a textbook that, if buying new, was almost $400.  Luckily our professor required us to read the entire text, so I got my money's worth.  But it was at 3-4 chapters a week.  Plus a 15-question quiz on each chapter.  So if you read chapters 5, 6, 7, and 8, you had a 15-question quiz for chapter 5, a 15-question quiz for chapter 6, and so on.  Except for the last 3 chapters, which we had 1 quiz to cover all 3 chapters.  The first two weeks we had discussions based on our readings.  The last 3 weeks we had assignments due, which were easy enough to complete in the short time frame and our discussions those week were based on the assignments - so for me that was almost really fun.

But now it's all said and done.  And I have to make that break from school mode (which I did not really get out of between my last spring class and the summer class) into relax mode.  I still feel like I should be doing something during my lunch or when I'm home.  But I don't have anything else due.  So now I have about a month and a half (or so) to read for fun.

I'm currently reading a book called Mainstreet to Mainframes which was written about the Poughkeepsie area and how IBM coming in really shaped the town/city and the Hudson Valley as a whole.  The author came and spoke about another book he contributed to at the FDR Library in Hyde Park, NY.  I was interested in the subject because of my job so I thought it would be a good read.  A little hard after slamming through a textbook on research marketing, but it's been interesting so far.

All the talk on my Twitter feed is about SDCC (San Diego Comic Con).  I can't wait until it's over, only because then maybe my feed will fill up with more NYCC (New York Comic Con) talk.  I was lucky to get a 4-day pass this year so I can't wait until the programming starts coming together and I can plan when to go to see panels and when to go to grab free stuff.  (And stand on line at the Hallmark booth to get in.)

There is something else I want to talk about but I want to save it for its own post so either later today or tomorrow sometime.  I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment