Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Stay for the Credits! #Marvel #Ghostbusters Thank you @paulfeig!

When my friends and I were in high school, every so often we would go to the local movie theater and see something we were interested in.  And typically we would sit through the credits, at least until the point where we saw the "Gaffer" or "Props" or whatever other term we were interested in seeing.  While most people left the theater, we stayed.  Except I think for the time a couple of us saw Titanic on New Years Eve and by the time we got out of the movie it was like 1am.

But, being someone who worked behind the scenes in theater, there are often a lot of people who support what is seen who never get much, if any credit.  In a movie, it is almost the same way.  Sure everyone knows who directors, producers, and even the soundtrack composer is.  But who knows who the 1st Assistant Director is, or the Gaffer, or the Key Grip, or any of those hundreds of positions that scroll by as a movie ends.

And people just get up and walk out of the movie because the acting is done.

So some movies try to entice people to stay for more than just the first credit bits.  They list the stars of the movie and the more well-known roles like Director, Executive Producers, etc.  Then they have a small scene that either is just a one off or gives hope for fans for another movie, and then the scroll quickly through the whole list of credits.

Marvel takes that a step further.  They have some sort of scene after the first set of credits.  And then there is another scene after all the credits are said and done.  It's a well-known fact that if it's a Marvel movie, then you need to stay through the credits or you will miss something.  I tweeted this after seeing Captain America: Civil War a few months ago....


Last weekend I went to see the new Ghostbusters movie.  And they did something with the end credits that I have found simply amazing.  Like I would go see the movie again just for the opportunity to sit through the credits again.

Now, some may think this will get into spoiler territory, and I'm sorry.  But I won't give details...if that will help.

There was a great dance sequence, that in reading the credits, I found was choreographed by Stephen "tWitch" Boss.  There was a kind of small end scene, which tied things together.  Then when most movies just scroll through the credits rather quickly, the rest of the credits were interactive with various scenes and things seen throughout the movie.  And, finally, after it was all said and done, there was another scene.

No boring credits.  No white text on a black background scrolling by with music.  A really well-through out, planned, and active set of credits.  I was really, and truly impressed.  I have never seen anything like it.

I know the team working on Ghostbusters had to deal with a lot of negativity as they worked on creating the film and they continue to deal with the same negativity.  But I hope they know, that at least in my mind....I was a doubter, then went to someone who was curious, and now I am hands down a fan of what I saw.

Stay for the credits.  You never know what you'll see.  And you can take a moment to appreciate all the people who work tirelessly to bring a movie to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment