Pages

Monday, July 3, 2023

Merging is an Ongoing Journey - Another New Appointment

Not really something one should say, but I have gotten really good at adjusting to new pastors in the United Methodist Church. In mid-2018 I said goodbye to one pastor and welcomed another, then again in mid-2019, and then again in 2020 (though that wasn't by appointment, but rather merger), and finally yet again now in 2023.

This is the way of the Methodist Church, and having been a member of one for way more than half my life, I get it and understand it, and though it is hard sometimes, I accept it.

I don't want this post to take away from my posts of appreciation I made last week. But I do think it is important to also celebrate this new time in our church.

The slide welcoming our new pastor (7/2/2023)

So, you know what?

It was a good service. It really was. We were able to continue with our contemplative service, which was great. And also gave me a bit of time before everyone started showing up to talk with our new pastor, Pastor Kregg.

Were there things that were a struggle? Sure. But isn't that the way it always goes, not just with a new appointment but even when one makes a change in how a service was done. When PUMC had to navigate COVID, there were changes in how worship was done. And when we started to gather again, more changes. And in trying to decide how best to do both in-person services and live-streamed services there were more changes. It all works out - because God is at the center of it all.

When a new pastor comes in, at least for me, it is always hard when I get the question, "How is this done during service?" I hate to respond, "Well, this is done this way and that is done that way" because each pastor is different. Not that they are going to come into a new congregation and immediately change everything so it is a completely different service. But at the same time, I want to give them the assurance that whatever they decide or however they decide to do something, it is okay and I'm there to support them.

And so I look forward to the new things I will learn from our newly appointed pastor. And hope that I can continue to share my gifts with the new pastor and his family, as I have for previous pastors.

No comments:

Post a Comment