Pages

Monday, July 19, 2021

Merging is an Ongoing Journey - The Quiet Moments

When I was at Wappingers, I'd often arrive fairly early to church.  It was for a number of different reasons, but in the end wound up being sure everything was ready for the worship service, from the sound system to the computer for projection, to the candle lighter that regularly needed to be cleared of wax.

During this time of preparation, it was very quiet.  Except for the organist practicing.  (Which I didn't mind.)  We sometimes ran into our own routine, if she wasn't familiar with a musical selection or thought the congregation wasn't familiar with it, we'd meet and do a quick review.  But it was a time of quiet because no one else was there.  I savored those moments.  It was a way to connect with God before the service.

I had to find new ways to get my quiet moments before service since coming to Poughkeepsie.  At first, I lost my path and ignored the need for quiet moments.  But as I got more involved, I remembered I needed those quiet moments.  But I had to find a way to get them.  Because, see, I no longer had to be the first person in and setting everything up.  There are others who do that.  And when I would get in, often there wouldn't really be an opportunity for a quiet moment.

Quiet Moment in the Car 7/18/2021

So I learned, after I parked my car, to take my quiet moment there.  I pray.  Sometimes I read a bit of my daily scripture reading.  But it's my time with God before I get into doing things.

The quiet moments help me become more centered.  This isn't to say that church doesn't help me become centered.  But sometimes I just need the time alone with God without distractions.  Even though some distractions are nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment