Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2021

Thursday Thoughts - Sparkle is growing up (sort of)

In a couple weeks, Sparkle (the puppy dog) will be 3 years old.  Since we have had her, there are some obvious ways she has grown that I appreciate.  As great as it was having a tiny dog that was easy to carry around or hold, I like that she's bigger because that means no wake-up calls at 2 or 3am to go out.  Though she still likes to wake me as soon as the sun comes up.  Like today's pre-6am wake-up yelp.  Again, during a really great dream that I probably did need to wake up from.

She hasn't really figured out when I need her to be calm and empathetic during migraines.  Maybe that will come over time.  Or, maybe not and it's her way of keeping me going so I don't focus on the migraine.  Who knows.

But what she has figured out after living with us for almost 2 1/2 years, is to let me hang outside with her in a chair.

Waiting to go inside, patiently

One of my favorite things to do with my previous dogs, especially Harmi, was to take a camp chair outside into the yard and just sit under the shady tree and read a book.  Or look at clouds.  Or watch the birds.  Or watch the dog.  It was always the best way to relax after a long work day - just an hour outside with a good book, a cup of cold water, and a dog.

Sparkle didn't want any of this with me.

Not that she was mad.  She just thought I should constantly play with her.  Or she should eat my camp chair.  I love my camp chair.  It had (yes, had) a cup holder in each arm rest.  I'd put my water in one and my phone in the other.  That is, until Sparkle literally chewed off one of the holders.  And kept chewing on the arm.  

I even tried sitting in my chair outside the fenced-in yard.  That saved my chair.  But she chewed on the fence and barked at me because she could see me but I wasn't with her.

It made me sad because she does tend to spend a lot of time outside.  And I don't like her to be alone outside in extreme weather (hot/cold).  But it was getting annoying sitting on the back stoop for hours at a time.

Until this summer.  When I was able to sit in my chair.  And she didn't eat it.  Sometimes she'd sit next to me.  Or she'd bring me a toy.  Or she'd go off somewhere else and play with something.  Or lay down and rest.  Or sit on the stoop herself while I sat in my chair and read.

Compared to last year, this is a great improvement!  One might say she has grown up.  I would not agree that she is completely grown.  She still has several puppy-like tendencies.  She's quite mouthy when she wants my attention...or to go back outside.  But, at least I can sit outside now and relax for a bit in my chair without her trying to eat it into pieces.

I'm sure the other things will come along eventually.  But I'm okay with where we are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment