Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

What I've Learned.... Week 7 Response Team 2 #MaristSM16

 This week our readings focused on Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM).  Both acronyms have been seen a lot, not just in this class but other classes in this program so far.  (And I am sure this is not the last time they will be seen either!)

Scott (2015) defined SEM very clearly, "Search engine marketing means using search engines to reach your buyers directly" (p. 396).  This fits very well with what he also said as a summary of his entire book, "This entire book is about search engine marketing" (p. 396).  In order to be successful with your SEM, you must also focus on SEO.  This is essentially using the right words and phrases to achieve your SEM goal (Scott, 2015).  Scott's point is very well taken.  And a great way to view just how incorporated SEO is with either personal or professional SEM goals, is this image:

Image: Seo Shows Websites Search Engine Optimization Or Optimizing” by Stuart Miles from FreeDigitalPhotos.net

We were also asked this week to review Google's Search Optimization Starter Guide.  One would think the guide was a way for Google to promote itself.  However, at the very beginning of the guide, it stated "Even though this guide's title contains the words 'search engine,' we'd like to say that you should base your optimization decisions first and foremost on what's best for the visitors of your site" (Google, p. 2).  It seems that Google is also attuned to the "New Rules" that we have been reading about throughout the last several weeks.

That brings me to this week's discussion questions.

1) Discuss one new lesson, tip or marketing & PR rule presented throughout our class that you will definitely implement into your personal or professional social media activity.

Just one?  I think the information Scott (2015) presented on social media as marketing, especially related to Twitter, are ones I can implement now at a personal level and work toward a professional level.  I am a regular reader and occasional ranter on Twitter.  Using the "quote retweet" feature would allow for more than just a random repeated message and instead sharing a personal connection to what I am sharing with my followers.  On a professional level, I am hoping to start a Twitter account for our service availability at Marist.  Using everything I have learned over the past seven weeks I hope to present a clear plan for its use, not just in emergency situations but daily use to present information about Marist Information Technology and our services.

2) Discuss one new lesson, tip or marketing & PR rule presented throughout our class that you disagree with or think would be too challenging to adopt.

At least from a personal perspective, one of the tips Scott (2015) suggests for social media profiles is to use a photo of yourself and not something that is not your face.  This one, at least at a personal level, is difficult.  As we discussed last week, security is a huge issue when it comes to social media.  Users do not want their personal information out for anyone to see, and this includes pictures of what someone looks like.  While I do have a picture of myself on my LinkedIn profile, I tend to not use pictures of myself on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

LinkedIn Profile

Facebook Profile

Twitter Profile







 





 I can see the professional aspects of using my picture, but at a personal level I would prefer to show sunsets, rainbows, and my dog.  If I start using some of my personal social media accounts on a more professional level, I will have to get over that fear and objection.


On a final note, Group 2, it has been a pleasure discussing the various aspects of social media with you!  I wish you luck as you put together the Digital Paper and as we prepare for the next class!
 


Google. (n.d.). Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide Retrieved 29, February 2016 from http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

Scott, D.M. (2015). The new rules of marketing & PR (5th ed.) Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn,

    As we have discovered over the last several weeks, you and I have very similar feelings about privacy on social media. It wasn’t until a couple of years ago that I started using an actual photo of myself on some of my social media channels – others are still a work in progress. I think my search for a new job is what finally got me to move from the black and white image of my avatar to a real photo on LinkedIn.

    To be honest, I cringed when I learned that we had to have so many public channels in this class and that real photos were required. I created accounts specifically for #MaristSM16 so that I could delete them and go back to my locked down, butterfly-profile-photo accounts once this class was completed.

    I am rethinking a few of my practices going forward but I have not committed to which things I will change, just yet.

    It is very exciting to hear that you are going to work with your team at Marist to create a social media presence beyond emergencies. Since you are in the business of Information Technology, and with Marist’s technology partnerships, I imagine that your team will be able to really present yourselves as thought leaders to the student body and community at large.

    Of course, baby steps first, but do you envision including blogging as a way to feed your channel?

    Thanks for all of your insights this semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man...I hit "sign out" instead of "publish" and lost my reply!!

      I too went to a personal photo on LinkedIn for the possibility of job searching. But I think, at least for me, part of my apprehension is tying my personal and my professional selves too close together. Though my Twitter account has some retweets that are definitely professional in nature, I also have a lot that are not. And I guess I would hate to not participate socially in the more personal way if my profiles got "too professional."

      As for my blog, I do hope to use it as a way to feed my social media channels. I have found that over the past few weeks my viewership went up because I was including a tag in my title to #MaristSM16, which alerted our classmates that something related to class was out there. Because I have something set up to automatically tweet when I have a new blog post, it picks up that title (and part of my actual blog post, depending on how long the blog title is). So I will be trying to incorporate appropriate hashtags in the title of my blogs so that it shows up in my tweets. We'll just have to see how it goes!

      Delete
    2. The use of hashtags is a great lesson. Best of luck with your new social media plan!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jen,

    You have a clear understanding about SEO and SEM! I think it is wonderful you plan to implement some things we have learned about social media into your professional role at Marist. Personally, I follow a lot of departments at Marist on Twitter and look forward to seeing new communication initiatives from Information Technology. Many departments at Marist could also improve their social media outreach as well!

    You bring up a great point about connecting your personal online presence with professional. When we first began this course, I was hesitant to link and share my personal social media pages with my professional colleagues. Not that I had anything to hide, but I am someone who likes to keep my personal life, well personal! I too, found the chapters relating to online security useful and even upgraded some of my settings and my photos & information I had listed in my profiles.

    Best of luck with the remainder of your coursework! It has been wonderful working with you, too!

    Jannelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know whenever I get that Twitter account set up so you can follow it, if you'd like. I follow a lot of Marist accounts as well and I think it's nice how areas support other ones with likes and retweets. I notice that a lot with what Athletics posts especially - it's great to support our teams!

      I think I will be going back (when I find some spare time) to re-read some of the information we had about security. After I had that Instagram incident I definitely was more nervous about some things. But social media is part of the world we are in and at least if I plan on working with it professionally, I need to know how to keep things secure but while still maintaining openness to a company or business.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenn,
    I thought Google’s Search Optimization Starter Guide did a great job of outlining the basics, for a topic I was relatively unfamiliar with to start. One of the most interesting points for me was to “anticipate differences in users’ understanding of your topic and offer unique, exclusive content” (Google, p. 14). As Scott (2015) discusses in his new rules of marketing & PR, great content is at the core of building successful marketing campaigns.

    I enjoyed reading your reflections about practices you could implement into your own social media use, and I had similar takeaways. This course and our readings helped me to develop my Twitter presence, as I normally used the platform only for reading/catching up on news. I feel as though now I have a better understanding as to effective tweets and practices for capturing attention (including links to content, visuals, etc. when possible). It’s really great that you were able to take some of the ideas presented to put them to use in your professional setting – I’m sure Marist will benefit!

    I know others who are also a bit weary of sharing personal photos on social media. I personally feel as though I use these platforms (especially Facebook) for sharing photos of myself and my friends, but it’s just a personal preference. To ensure my security, I’ve set up my Facebook to only allow friends to be able to see anything I post. Do you feel as though you are losing a level of connectivity by not sharing your picture, or does it have little impact on your overall experience?

    References:

    Google. (n.d.). Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide Retrieved 29, February 2016 from http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

    Scott, D.M. (2015). The new rules of marketing & PR (5th ed.) Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the document from Google. I found it very helpful and actually printed an extra copy to keep at my desk for reference.

      I too have my Facebook set up (most times) to post just to my friends. A few times I have posted publicly, but it is usually for things that need to be public, like when I was part of a team that was using social media to promote a book.

      I am not sure if I am losing a level of connectivity or not. I think on Facebook it doesn't really matter. I use it to see (and share) things, keep up with friends, and play a few games. (Though most of the games are on my mobile devices.) I think where it might affect me most is on Twitter, here (Blogger), and LinkedIn. I did "take the plunge" on LinkedIn and have a photo of myself there. But if I want this blog to become more popular and for people to comment more, I might have to do the same thing here. Or figure out how to make a logo for myself. (haha!)

      Delete
  4. HI Jenn,

    Your idea about starting a Twitter account for your service availability at Marist is a good one. You’ve found a good use for social media be creating an information two-way communication tool that will impact you and your users in many ways including, timeliness, safety, efficiency, and information gathering.

    I understand your hesitation about using your image on social media. However, I feel the positive reasons to do so outweigh the negative. Scott (2015) argued that posting your photo shows that you are real and establishes credibility. Kriel (2011) explained your face is need on your social media channels to become more recognizable, to provide that human touch, to be visible and trusting, and to be likeable.


    Kriel, N. (2011, April 03). 5 Reasons to show your Face. Retrieved March 04, 2016, from http://www.nickykriel.com/blog/body-language/5-reasons-to-show-us-your-face/

    Scott, D. M. (2015). The new rules of marketing and PR (5th ed.). Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Steve! Of course, with all this talk about my personal social media profiles, I would also have to figure out the appropriate images to use on a Twitter account for our IT service Twitter...without taking logos that belong to someone else or doing a disservice to our area. Definitely lots of thinking and planning to go on!

      Delete