Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Merging is a New Journey - Alternate Plans

Sometimes while traveling, you wind up having to take a detour.  A road may be closed for construction, there is too much traffic, or there has been an accident.  Several years in a row I drove down to Texas and each time I drove that way, I was inevitably stuck behind some issue.  This was before everyone had some map program on their phone, so I was stuck with my prepared Mapquest maps and an atlas.  Usually, I just stayed stuck and eventually I was able to get on my way again.

Recently, with circumstances surrounding the latest virus that is wreaking havoc on everything, the Methodist Churches in our conference (and others I am sure) have been told to not worship in person for the next several weeks.

As you know, this past weekend was supposed to be the closing service for Wappingers and our first service together as a merged congregation.

Instead, we postponed the closing service.

And, at least my sister and I, joined our first worship service at Poughkeepsie UMC virtually.

Sparkle listens attentively to Pastor Jody.

Me and my iPad about a minute before worship started.



















It was a pretty interesting experience.  My sister, on her phone, seemed to be a second or two ahead of me.  But we both enjoyed the service.  And though it would have been better in person, it was nice to have some way to worship on Sunday.

There have been times when I have needed to stay home (and didn't) and would have been okay without being in worship.  But this past Sunday was definitely not one of those days.

In a world full of crazy right now, it was great to have a way to connect with others, even though I don't really know many of them, and worship God through song, Scripture, prayer, and a message.

This will be my reality for the next few weeks.  It's an alternate plan.  But I am very blessed and thankful that there is one!

No comments:

Post a Comment