Pages

Monday, March 2, 2020

Merging is a New Journey - The Lasts

When we first set the date for when our last worship service would be, the closing service, and when we would start worshipping at Poughkeepsie, it seemed so far away.  Now it is just around the corner and I have been contemplating "the lasts."

The first of "the lasts" that really hit me was back in October, when I gave my last Laity Sunday sermon within the sanctuary of the UMC of Wappingers.  It was a hard service for me, because in that sanctuary was the place where I first started preaching, and grew under multiple pastors teaching and leadership as I refined how I presented God's Word to others, and even became brave enough to preach in other places.

There were other lasts.  The last Thanksgiving Day Meal.  The last time seeing the church decorated for Advent.  The last Christmas Eve service.  And most recently, the last Communion Service.

Altar area set for Communion
The past three pastors I have served under have had me, as lay leader, serve communion with them.  It has been a humbling experience.  And one that I think has made me feel closer to those in the congregation as I offer them either the bread or juice.

But yesterday I served Communion in the sanctuary of the United Methodist Church of Wappingers for the very last time.

Thinking about it last month got me choked up.  I was dreading the day, not because of what it was but because of how I would react to it.  Would I be able to get the words out during the service?  Would I be dripping tears into the grape juice as I held the cup?

Luckily, I was able to get through the service.  Which I can only attribute to God knowing I needed to get through it.


We have a few more lasts to get through.  The last St. Patrick's Day parade where we host free cookies, hot chocolate, and most important - facilities after walking around the Village of Wappingers without getting a break.  The last worship service.  And the closing service, when the sanctuary is deconsecrated.

The lasts are the hardest.  But getting through the lasts help us get through the many firsts that are coming our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment