Pages

Friday, October 16, 2020

Merging is a New Journey - A Different Laity Sunday & Becoming Involved

 

A song from my iPod

Famous last words: I will NOT be doing anything for Laity Sunday this year except sitting back and watching everyone else!

Seriously.  I said that.  Ask my sister!

Guess what is NOT happening this Laity Sunday?

For those who don't know, Laity Sunday is something that has been done in the United Methodist Church for many years, going back originally to 1928 and a day set aside called "Laymen's Day" and then renamed in 1972 as Laity Sunday to recognize the work and mission of all of the people in the church and what they did not just within the 4 building walls but outside of those walls as well.

And, some of you may know that organizing and usually preaching on Laity Sunday has been one of my responsibilities for more years than I can remember.  Last year took a lot out of me because it was the last one at Wappingers, and even though I had a script to follow at the end I stopped using it and wound up anointing everyone who was there.  It drained me physically, emotionally, and spiritually.  So I was really looking forward to not doing ANYTHING this year.

So we move now into becoming involved.  Church was able to start up small groups again, so I reached out and was placed in a small group that meets every other Tuesday evening.  We are reading through a study book and discussing it.  The group is such a blessing and they welcomed me with open air arms (because we can't really have open arms for hugs).  And the first week I attended we talked about singing and being involved in choir (when singing in groups was allowed).

So....even though I wanted to take a break...I will now be participating in Laity Sunday.  Along with many other people. 

Last night we had rehearsal time.  And though many people's faces (or half faces) were familiar as I attended virtual worship and later in-person worship, I felt not like an outsider looking in but rather a true part of the congregation.  (Though I was VERY nervous before I had to rehearse what I was doing!)  Someone who is starting to get involved in more than just the worship experience.  

So why a picture of the song "Beautiful Ending" by BarlowGirl?  I sang this pretty loudly in my car on the way home from work on Friday, while I was tired and just not feeling right as a reaction from my flu shot the day before.  But the song has been a bit of an ear worm since Friday (along with Save the Child from Paul McCartney's Liverpool Oratorio) and an encouragement for me.

It will be a very different Laity Sunday for me this coming Sunday.  But I am looking forward to it.  And I am also looking forward to being more involved in the coming months and years with my new church family.

1 comment:

  1. Guess what? I knew you would end up doing something hahaha

    ReplyDelete