Pages

Monday, December 28, 2020

Merging is a New Journey - I Belong (and it feels right)

I am an introverted person.  When I get to know you, I'm comfortable around you.  But, making new friends or even acquaintances is very hard for me.  I'm not one to just walk up to someone and say something.

So imagine being an introverted person being brought into a larger church or even a new church with only knowing a handful of people...which was what I was brought into mid-July.  I was polite to everyone, but wasn't able to connect with anyone, except the handful of people I knew already.

It was a scary place to be.  Not scary as in I didn't want to be there.  But just scary as in it was totally out of my comfort zone.  That was until mid-October.

I had been part of a small group for a few weeks and our leader, Dale, was planning the Laity Sunday service.  He asked me if I would want to participate.  I said I just really wanted to take a break and watch everyone else.  Almost a week later, he sent me a text asking if I would be willing to sing for the service.  I blogged about that experience the day after Laity Sunday so I won't go into everything.  But I firmly believe from that moment on, something awoke in me that changed me.  Of course, I had to get through the rehearsal first, which had my introvertedness on overdrive.  (Long story!)

Though I still consider myself an introvert, I would say that I am coming out of that shell more and more as I do more at church.  

Selfie with Poinsettias at PUMC 12/24/2020


So, like the above picture, I felt comfortable taking (after asking permission to take photos) this selfie to show how far I have come from last year at the same time.  I talk to people more.  I ask questions of some people more.  I'm getting more involved in worship when asked.  I'm doing more within the church.  And I have found that it feels not like I am someone new but rather as someone who has been a member for awhile and being involved in things like I did before.

A couple Sundays ago after participating in the virtual worship service, we were talking about this after church.  I finally feel like I belong.  I know I belonged before.  But, as I said, something changed inside me that turned a switch on to make me a bit braver, bolder, and more open to what is ahead.

As I sit writing this now lengthy blog entry, I wanted to say thank to you to everyone at PUMC who contributed to this.  The names and groups below are by no means the entirety of everyone, but it is a list of those at the top of my head now.

Thank you to Dale who pulled me out of the pew (where I thought I was find and happy) and into doing stuff.  

Thank you to Polly and Stephen who, through their music, got me out of a very dark and sad place.  I came to the realization yesterday that it was almost like I was dead inside, spiritually, emotionally, and musically.  Being able to hear you both on a weekly basis now has healed me.

Thank you to my small group members (Dale, Beth, Sandy P., Sandy H., Patty, and Duane...I hope I got her name spelling right!) for accepting me for who I am and welcoming me in like I had been part of the group from the beginning.  

Thank you to those who I have been in worship with in music and word for being such bright lights, an encouraging presence, and great people that I have gotten to know.

Thank you to Pam who would always check in on our family once we were in PAUSE.  

Thank you to Kaye who has always been so welcoming, in fact, since before the merger because I am sure I've seen you at many district events I was at.  (Plus, were you the one greeting us under an umbrella in July when we pulled into the driveway?  If so, you really helped me out!)

Thank you to Crystal, who also welcomed me like she has known me for as long as she and Pastor Jody have been part of the PUMC church.  

Thank you to Pastor Jody for continuing to keep me involved and being such a great pastor with messages I need to hear, that I have learned a lot from, and that I continue to enjoy.

And to all those names or groups I have forgotten, THANK YOU!

The fully lit Advent wreath - 12/24/2020

The year 2021 will be a very exciting one for me at church, I am sure.  And I can't wait for what is ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment