Pages

Monday, December 21, 2020

Merging is a New Journey - Long Days! (Happy Memories Part 6)

There were some Sundays at Wappingers that were long days.  Though the long days were, well, long, they were also good days.  I was reminded of this when I had my first long day at PUMC, with rehearsing for worship followed by worship followed by recording a song with my sister for Christmas Eve, followed by a vocal break while another song for Christmas Eve was recorded, followed by recording 2 more songs for Christmas Eve with a group.  All said and done, I was at church for about 4 hours or so.  And it felt almost normal...or as normal as one can get now.

Sometimes long days were for Advent preparation

Long days at Wappingers are filled with so many happy memories.

These long days could take many forms.  Sometimes it was arriving to prepare to teach Sunday School, followed by worship, followed by a meeting afterwards or assisting with counting the day's offering.  Or arriving early to make sure the sanctuary was ready for church, followed by church, followed by Advent decorating, followed by counting the offering.  Or arriving early to make sure the sanctuary was ready, followed by church, followed by a lengthy Round Table meeting/discussion, followed by counting the offering.  (I arrived at church early a lot it seems!)

For sure there were also short days.  But the long days, though they were long, also were full of great memories.  Time with different people in the church.  Laughter at a meeting or while decorating.  Seeing the transformation of the sanctuary.  Pictures to share.  Memories to remember.

Another long day at Wappingers was almost a year ago, at Christmas Eve.  When I arrived early to be able to get some really great pictures before the sanctuary started to fill with whoever came to the service.  When I was able to practice and sing with the choir for the last time.  I got a selfie of me with the poinsettias, for the last time.  I have shared that particular photo before so I didn't want to repeat them...but that might have been one of the last long days I had...because though we were small, that last Christmas Eve had to be special.  And it was.  I'll have a different type of long day this Christmas Eve, attending multiple services at different times not because I have to but because I can.  And I am looking forward to the new memories I will be making.

No comments:

Post a Comment