Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2021

Thursday Thoughts - More Caring for Self

I've written about this before a bit, but a big thing that comes up a lot for people now in the time of COVID is self-care.  For awhile I felt like that was something that everyone else got to focus on and I continued to work, every day, in my room from 8:30am to about 1pm when I took lunch, and then again from 1:30pm until after my scheduled end time of 5pm.  If you asked me what my "self care" was at that time, I'd tell you it was being able to work with my dog next to me and not really having to drive to work.

Yes, having my dog with me was nice.  And dogs are quite therapeutic.  (Well, maybe not my crazy pup...) But that was not the self-care that I needed.

As the days lengthened and got warmer, after my work hours I would go out to walk my street just for something to do to turn off "work brain."  Soon I'd sometimes have company in the form of my niece so we would have nice little chats.

Then I learned, I liked hiking in places, after my first trek to the trails at Locust Grove.  I've been back a few times afterwards.

View from the trails at Locust Grove (11/2020)

 So, at church we have been challenged (in a way) to think about how we will improve ourselves...physically, emotionally, and spiritually as a way of stewardship.

And I have decided that in 2021 I am going to hike or walk more.  Probably not this weekend with the brutally cold temperatures predicted...but I'm hoping a few weekends a month to be able to get out one day and walk...somewhere.  Gotta find some spots though, not too tough and not involving rock scrambling, as Locust Grove is closed for the season.

Walking seems to have improved my physical health.  I still look like...well...me.  But I'm sure some of my weight loss has been because I am out walking more.  And I think I can handle walking more because I have been out hiking.

Walking also has helped me clear my mind.  I walk carefully, so as not to step wrong and sprain my ankle.  But it has allowed me to break away from things and look at everything else around me.

Walking has also helped me take in, see, and experience God's beauty in nature.  I often am taking pictures while walking in places that are not my usual walking spaces because there is just so much to see and look back on and remember the peace I felt.

I do other things to care for my self, or so I like to think.  Knitting and crocheting has definitely been part of that.  I have a smaller project to work a bit on during my lunch break (currently a crocheted scarf for who knows how).  It's easy to transport to and from work, and it is small enough that I can get a few rows done in a short amount of time.  I have my current larger blanket project, which is knitting.  It is long and I have to have a good set of time to work on it because it is so big.

I read smaller sets of Scripture more now.  I do have a few daily Bible readings, which I have always done.  But I am finding that I like to get individual Bible verses (by email or apps) and spend a few moments concentrating on that verse.

Of course, I can't forget my music.  Which involves my YouTube listening videos playlist while at work while doing projects, my iPod on my way to and from work or really anywhere else when I am in my car, and wanting to sing more.  So I am literally singing instrumentals (which is kind of funny) and challenging myself to learn the actual words to songs so I can improve my vocal range and knowledge.

During the week I am kind of busy, so it is important that, when I can, I make sure to take these steps to take care of my own self so that I can be at my best for my family, church, and work.


No comments:

Post a Comment