Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2022

Thursday Thoughts - The Class of 2020

I wasn't blogging too regularly when I completed my coursework in May, 2020 to receive an MBA with a concentration in Ethical Leadership.  But I did write a blog about it, if you are interested.  I Am an MBA Grad

At the time Marist, or rather President Murray, promised there would be a celebration for the Class of 2020 when it was safe to do so once again.  This Saturday, May 28, 2022, will be that long-awaited celebration.

The sign my sister had made in 2020

So here I sit, on a Thursday, with Saturday just a couple days away, thinking about this day of celebration that is coming.

Does it seem a little silly to be excited about something that happened two years ago?  Maybe.  I have already received my degree.  It sits in an envelope in my room.  The celebration is for the entire Class of 2020, so graduate students, traditional undergraduate students, and adult students.  Maybe I'll be the only one from my program who shows up?  I hope not!

Sometimes I feel awkward saying "Thank you!" to those who wish me "Congratulations!" because I finished what seems so long ago.

But then I remember the struggles it took to finish out the program.

Luckily it was already an online program so I didn't have to adjust to learning in a new way like many other students did.  But, I had a decent routine at work where after work I would stay some days to get through some reading or working on an assignment or whatever else I needed to do for class.  When I was home all the time, I didn't have that opportunity.  I had to find ways to adjust.  Sparkle was the biggest challenge to all this.  She was THRILLED to have me home all the time.  And a dog who has to know where I am when I am home and be there with me 99.99% of the time was now with me from the time I got up until the time I went to bed.  So trying to find quiet time to work on things was difficult.  As the days got nicer I could let her outside for awhile.  But soon it got too hot to work in my room with the door closed.  But, we made it work.  I got through the last class.  I graduated.  Though it was a quiet and more personal celebration.

Now here I head into Saturday.  A day where I will celebrate the accomplishments of graduating during a pandemic with all the other Marist Class of 2020 members.  All together.  With my family present.

My bestie Jess asked me a couple weeks ago if I was excited.  And at the time, I wasn't really.  In my mind was getting through the Class of 2022 Commencements where I was working.  But once the ceremony was done last Saturday, I started to get excited.  I was still mulling over some things that were causing me a bit of stress.  But I can say, as of today, I am excited!

I am the Class of 2020 and I can't wait to hear the words, "Class of 2020, dismissed!"

No comments:

Post a Comment