Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2022

Thursday Thoughts - An Old Work Memory

While walking on campus yesterday, as has been the case a few times over the past several weeks, the sprinklers have been going.  And when the sprinklers go, where ever they are, they do tend to hit the sidewalk.

The sprinklers helping the grass


This reminded me of a long (long) time ago when we had to walk across campus in the middle of the day.  And, on hot summer days, we would long for the sprinklers to be going.  Well, sort of.

Sometimes we were carrying things or bringing things that couldn't get wet.  So we had to learn to watch the sprinklers and time when to walk by them so whatever we were carrying didn't get wet.

But if we didn't have anything to carry, and it was really, really, really hot, the object was to cool off, especially on hot summer days.  So then we would want to time it so we'd get hit by the sprinklers.  But not too much so we were overly soaked.

It has been a long time since I have seen the sprinklers going in the middle of the day.  But I'm often reminded of that memory now as I've seen the being used more while I'm outside over the past month.  Also it is very funny how some memories come back so easily, like the one on how to time out the sprinklers so you don't get wet - especially when several of them are covering an area and you have to dodge multiple sprinklers on different timings as you walk a single path.  

Seeing the sprinklers now makes me smile as I remember those former days.  And also laugh at myself as I had to dodge sprinklers while pushing a cart of all my stuff from one location to another.


No comments:

Post a Comment