Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Thursday Thoughts - The Healing Power of Worship & Music

Healing comes in a variety of ways.  Sometimes it is a pain killer for a headache.  Or something less medicated, like peppermint oil.  When I smashed my head on the door the other day, Anastasia brought me an ice pack because cooling is good when something gets banged.  (Maybe I should bring ice packs with me to church for the times I get so excited I smash my leg into the pews.)

Last Thursday I was having a really rough day.  It was a long day between work and then helping my sister out by getting her to worship rehearsal at church.  I was just not in a good frame of mind.  And it was affecting other things.  While I would typically be hungry around 5pm, I wasn't.  My heart rate was up.  I could tell my blood pressure was up.  My head was pounding from stress and probably the high heart rate and blood pressure.

I drive my sister to church and find a place to sit in the empty sanctuary.

A place to heal myself

I take a moment to pray.

Then the rehearsal begins.  There is piano music.  There is singing.  There is more piano music.  There is more singing.  Even more piano music.  And more singing.  And then organ playing.  I even got a chance to sing for a bit to help out toward the end.

By the time the rehearsal was over, between listening, being in my own worshipful space, and even singing a bit...helped heal me from the entire day, the stress and pain.  So I left in a much better place than I arrived.

 I do know that just being in God's presence is a good thing and a healing thing.  But I do not think I have ever experienced it so fully as I did last Thursday.  Worship and Music is truly healing.  And, I will be honest, there are days where I feel like I need the same thing and I do not have the opportunity to experience it.  So now I am working to find new ways to be able to have the same healing power if I am not able to be in the church to experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment