Pages

Monday, February 21, 2022

Merging is an Ongoing Journey - Sitting in the Congregation

I had an unusual experience yesterday. 

I sat in the congregation for service.

Yes, you read that right.  I sat in the congregation for service.  After months (and months) of participating in some way, even when we had to readjust ourselves, I had a Sunday off.

I still got there early to fill the candles.  But I got to sit through rehearsal.  I got to chat with people before service.  And I got to experience worship from a different view.

Physical representation of the sermon (2/20/22)

I also got the opportunity to pray for the two lay servants that prepared yesterday's service.  I know when I'm preparing a service and someone prays with me, it is always a very calming presence.  So I wanted to be able to return the favor.  And being in the congregation I think allowed me to be able to do that.

But sitting in the congregation allowed me to experience worship in the way that I started.  I was able to learn from someone who I know has given many, many sermons before but was giving their first one at PUMC.  

It was strange to be sure.  Not because I felt like I didn't belong.  But because it was a place I hadn't been in a lot, at least on a Sunday.

But it was a good strangeness.  And a place I needed to be in I think.  At least this week I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment