Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Merging is a New Journey - Repurposed

Getting Repurposed

We are still winding down, we think.  There are always last-minute things to take care of.  To finalize.  To be sure everything is okay for what we have planned.

But on my mind lately is how things are being repurposed.

This picture is a dress I had bought with the full intention of wearing it on Easter Sunday, because by then we would be attending a new church and it probably would be nice to dress up for Easter.  But COVID-19 happened and the dress sat in a bag, unworn.  It is now being repurposed as my Closing Service dress.

I, too, am being repurposed.  For so long, my church identity lay in the various roles I held within the church.  A lot of the roles came as a result of my position as Lay Leader.  But others I had for other reasons.  Like Financial Secretary, Liturgist, Runner of Technology, Cleaner of the Candle Lighter, and Lay Servant with Preaching.  Okay...that last one isn't going away.  But most of those other reasons.  I was appointed into them.  I inherited them.  I took them on because they needed to be done.

But now I am being repurposed.  What will my repurposed role be?  I am honestly not sure.  For a time, all I wanted to do was really rest and learn from Sunday services online.  But then soon, part of my working nature kept saying to me, "You know, you could do something.  You could easily make a video of yourself reading Scripture.  You could offer to sing something.  You could offer to help where it was needed." And then, the need to step back and rest would fill my head...because I was a little afraid of being repurposed.

What's that saying?  One person's trash is another person's treasure?  Not that I am trash.  But, at least how I am considering it now, it is a statement about stuff sold at a Garage Sale, Yard Sale, or "Trash and Treasure" Sale winds up being repurposed and becoming something else.  I need to allow myself to be repurposed, just like my Easter/Closing Service dress.

And so, on this last post before our Closing Service (we think), I am willing to allow myself to be repurposed for God's will in my new life as a member of Poughkeepsie UMC.

No comments:

Post a Comment