Pages

Monday, June 21, 2021

Merging is a New Journey - The Other Side

This was going to be last week's entry, but I felt the need to write about my particularly bad headache and how I did the exact opposite of what I said I would do.  (haha!)

So, here it is this week's entry.  The Other Side.

And what I mean by that is...

Throughout the process of the merger between Wappingers and PUMC, I was part of a Merger Committee.  This was a mix of people from both congregations, and the pastors, who worked out all the details of the merger.

And now PUMC has been through another merger process with Bangall UMC.  This time I was part of the merger committee from the other side, the church welcoming a new church.

Bangall UMC Altar (taken by me)

It feels a bit different on this other side.  Granted, I was familiar with the process this time around having gone through it before.  But it came from a perspective of really recent hindsight.

I have talked before about how welcome I felt into the PUMC family, even with all the pandemic restrictions that we had.  It was my hope to be able to share the same welcoming feeling to those coming from Bangall, especially because it is all so hard.

It did bring back some of the old feelings I had during my own merging process.  In fact, as more and more is done as we gather in person, some of the feelings come back because I'm either asked if I was from Wappingers (because my face isn't familiar) or I share that I came from Wappingers (because someone else's face isn't familiar).

But, mostly it was almost a sense of closure for me.  I obviously will still have all my memories.  And now thanks to Amazon Photos, I am reliving many I had forgotten about and should have shared.  But it felt good to be able to give back, in a way, during this whole process.

And if I can just say, please keep those who are coming to PUMC by way of Bangall in your prayers.  Their last worship service is this coming Sunday.  I know for myself, our last worship service I started the day strong and was a total wreck by the end.  Even though we were singing my favorite song ever (yay 155!).  I'm sure some of the same feelings will be felt. Or maybe different feelings.  Everyone reacts differently.  But the prayers would be needed all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment