Pages

Monday, June 6, 2022

Merging is an Ongoing Journey - Some Thoughts from Contemplative Worship

 Yesterday morning we spent some time considering Romans 8:26-27, which reads, "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness, for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with groanings too deep for words.  And God, who searches hearts, knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God." (NRSV)

From my journal with my thoughts from the contemplative service


There was a prompt we could use, but I spent the time thinking on the set of verses.  I wrote, "Do I ask the Holy Spirit to intercede when I don't know what to ask?  Or how to ask?  Probably not.  Should I?  Probably so.  But sometimes it is hard - it seems almost selfish because there is SO MUCH else going on around the world that needs more intervention, action, etc. than my cries."

For me it is easier to consider the Holy Spirit interceding where words fail in situations like the recent gun violence or when a natural disaster causes problems or if a country has been facing war like in the Ukraine.  Because in all of those situations, words fail, and sometimes it is just so heartbreaking that all I can do is feel emotions and I just do not know what to say.  But I know that in addition to trying to do something if I can, praying can also be done.  I just sometimes don't know how.

I do have my own struggles in life.  But they pale in comparison to so much out there.  I almost feel I should have words for those things in my life because they are known to me and they are not as overwhelming as other stuff.

I was always encouraged by this set of verses.  But now I find myself thinking more deeply about them.  I guess that is a good thing and possibly one of the purposes behind the contemplative worship service.

No comments:

Post a Comment