Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2022

Thursday Thoughts - Simple Acts of Kindness

I've been mulling over this for about a week now.  Not that the concept is new.  Not that I haven't experienced it before.  But, that I wanted to share about it.

Daffodil from the Yard

Last Saturday when I got home from going on a Discipleship Walk through Vassar Farm and grocery shopping for the week, Anastasia was outside playing creating a Fairy Garden.  Next thing I know she plucked a daffodil from our front flower bed.  Now, I love looking at the daffodils in the flower bed.  And I will say sometimes I get annoyed when the flowers are picked and then just found strewn about in the yard.  But Anastasia walked right up to me and handed me this daffodil.

A simple act of kindness.

You know the last time I was given flowers?  May 2020 when my bosses had flowers delivered to my house the day I was supposed to have walked at Commencement, but instead we had a pandemic.

But this act by Anastasia got me thinking to all the simple acts of kindness we are surrounded by every day.  And I'm not just talking about the person ahead of you who pays your toll (which is kind of impossible now with all the toll booths coming down for cashless tolls) or who buys your coffee for you in the drive through.  Though those are great acts of kindness.

I'm talking about the things that people do without realizing they are doing an act of kindness.

Yesterday my sister and brother-in-law helped in different ways with a particularly yucky (nicest way to put it) situation at home.

I put a post up, which in hind-sight may have been a bit embarrassing or overwhelming to someone who had a birthday, and had so many people who wished this person a Happy Birthday, whether they knew them or not.  This person means so much to me, the fact that others celebrated this fact with me was a great kindness.

My best friend is always so gracious when I text random things and pictures.  Even if she is having a tough day, which is a kindness that amazes me to no end.

I have a friend who lets me listen and sometimes record organ music they are playing because they know it is what recharges me and helps me get through things sometimes.

Random hugs when I need them, don't know I need them, or just are nice to have them.

People who make sure I'm taking care of myself in addition to everyone around me.

I have a student employee who when they work checks to be sure I have had my breakfast!

People who comment or react to my posts or photos on social media.

Random messages or images by text or Messenger or some other way.

People who open my eyes to things.

So many, many more examples that I haven't even touched on.  So many things, whether they are realized or not, are simple acts of kindness.

And I say thank you for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment