Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2020

Thursday Thoughts - Why No Hope for Me Hallmark Christmas Movies?

 

Me with my 1st Peppermint Mocha of the Season

 

That is me.  I have gotten braver with the selfies.  I used to hate them and would only post them when they included someone else (usually my niece) because who is going to throw shade at a picture of me with a cute kid?  But that is what I look like.

The Hallmark Christmas movies are on again and they are a staple in our house when we aren't watching local news, Jeopardy, or Wheel of Fortune.  Some movies we have seen so many times we know the plots forward and backward and make jokes through the entire movie (I'm looking at you Christmas Card!).   Some movies I get angry with because people do things that just bother me (yes, any time someone looks at someone else's mobile device to find something out is a terrible plot line.)

I feel one of the points of the movies is to provide hope.  Hope at Christmas. Hope for happiness.  Hope for love.  But, it seems to be hope for only two specific groups of people, good looking guys and pretty looking females.  No hope for someone who looks like me.

I specify "who looks like me" because many of the female stars who are used each year in movies are around the same age as me.  So, yes there is hope for 40-something females.  But none who look like me.

So Hallmark, why is there no hope for someone who looks like me?  The closest to even seeing someone who looked a bit like me was Ashley Fink in "A Merry Christmas Match."  This is not anything against her, because I really enjoy her acting!  But, it was obvious her character had a crush on the character that would wind up with the pretty girl at the end of the movie and she would not have her own happy ending in the movie, though everyone else did.

I am sure others have their own stories of how Hallmark Christmas movies don't represent them.  Maybe this is all bothering me so much this year because I'm at a point where I really do not want to be alone for the rest of my life and I pretty much will be.  Maybe because of the pandemic there does not seem to be a way to even consider a relationship, though now I have more time then when I was busy getting degree after degree.

While I love seeing some of my favorite Hallmark stars in new movies every year, I just wish I'd see someone get their happy ending who looks a little more like me for once, just to give me a glimmer of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment