Pages

Monday, February 15, 2021

Merging is a New Journey - The First Sermon

That's right, you heard it here.  I have now given my first sermon at PUMC.

Giving my first sermon

As with many things, it was because I opened my mouth (or typed my fingers rather) and offered.  Which made me quite nervous leading up to Sunday's service.  Yes, I have given sermons before.  But this was in front of the church family that I am still getting to know in some ways and in a new place with a new format - my first to a webcam that broadcast online.

There was a lot of help from others, so I didn't have to do it all on my own.  Which was nice.  And strange.  But a great blessing.

I think I am still processing things.

There were a few reasons why I was so much more nervous than usual.

I spent time in prayer at home before I left for church.  I also did something I haven't done in a long time...

Anointing Oil

That would be anoint myself prior to leaving the house.  Well, usually I would anoint myself at church before everyone showed up.  But that was when I had the oil hidden in the sanctuary of Wappingers.  Now it is home with me, and it got some use yesterday!

I got to church and then got REALLY NERVOUS before I walked into the building.  I prayed again, walked in, and then felt calmer.

There is just something about that peace you feel, even though you may be nervous about something, but that peace that God brings when you need it most.

Did I speak without making mistakes?  Nope.

Did I skip over a line in what I was reading?  Yup.

Did I forget to include everything I needed in my bulletin script?  Yup, even after a second revision on Saturday.

Did a message from God get shared?  I certainly hope so.

And I think that is what matters most.

Also, for the first time, I really felt alive when I was preaching.  Not that I wasn't before.  But I think having such a long break from preaching really helped me gain a new focus and sense of sharing that I didn't have before.  I'm continuing to learn that breaks can be a good thing - because I become refreshed and revitalized!

1 comment: