Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2021

Thursday Thoughts - I Really Missed Train Riding!

Last Thursday I did something I hadn't done in two years.  Okay, a few things I hadn't done in two years.  But the one thing I wanted to write about was riding the train.

Over the past several years I really have only had one opportunity for riding a train, and that was going to New York Comic Con.  And after the break last year when there were no conventions, I was back on the train for one day this year.

It amazed me how, even after a couple years away, the routine of a train ride seemed to come back so quickly.  (As did leaving the train, getting to the subway, riding the subway, and walking to the Javits Center.)

On Saturday I went to my usual spot for sunset viewing.  The sun was very clouded over so no actual sunset viewing.  But I did spend some time watching the water, which was just as relaxing.  As I got out of my car, there was a train waiting at the station.  And while looking at it, I realized just how much I had missed riding the train.

Train coming into the Beacon Train Station

The picture I shared was actually from a week before the experience I'm writing about.  I have always, for some reason, loved the moment when you see a train coming around the corner into the train station.  Maybe it is the anticipation of getting on the train.  Sometimes I am at the train station really early so it might be the idea of getting to sit down.  Maybe it's hoping I can find just the right seat to sit in.  Or it may even be related to getting on the train and knowing the train will be taking me somewhere that I am excited to get to.

I'm not really sure.  But what I do know is I really did miss riding the train.  Even though I had to be masked during the ride it was still a great experience, listening to my music, reading a book, and every so often stopping to look out the window or take a picture.

Not sure when the next time will be that I get to ride a train.  It's not really something I ever thought of just doing to do.  But, maybe, since all tickets are considered off-peak until the end of 2021 (there's a travel tip for you!) and ridership seems to be down so there isn't a lot of crowding, it might be something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment