Pages

Monday, December 27, 2021

Merging is an Ongoing Journey - Christmas Eve 2021

Christmas Eve 2021 was supposed to be a complete 180 from Christmas 2020.  Indoor, in-person services with lots of carol singing, celebrating with families and friends and friends who are like family, lots of excitement, and joy.

Or at least I'm sure that's what a lot of people thought.

But Christmas Eve 2021 turned into one of those Instagram vs. Reality posts.  What I typed up there was the Instagram version.  The reality was, yes in-person services but people still had to be socially distanced.  There was carol singing, but by a very few people who were all spaced 12 feet apart from each other and from the congregation.  There were adjustments to allow the congregation to read some of the carols so it wasn't just like a bunch of people singing and no other participation.  There was a movement to outside so there was adequate space for everyone to stand 12 feet apart so at least one carol, Silent Night, could be sung by all.

But still, what was in both the Instagram and Reality versions was this simple fact - we celebrated Christ's birth with joy after all the anticipation during Advent.

On my way to the 1st of 3 Christmas Eve Services (2021)

There were a lot of hard decisions that had to be made within just a couple days before Christmas Eve.  Of course, the bulk of it lay on our pastor.  But the leadership jumped right in with ways to help our pastor put in motion the updated vision for the services as well as helping with things in between.

But all of that didn't take away from the celebration.  Nothing took away from the story and the familiar scriptures read.  Nothing took away from probably the best prelude at the 10pm service that has brought such peace to me.  And though not everyone could sing the carols, it didn't take away from their meaning.  One song I was looking forward to singing during Lessons and Carols was "Let There Be Peace on Earth."  But instead, this was spoken.  However, I found greater meaning to the song being able to speak the words as opposed to singing it.  I wonder if others too were able to find a different appreciation for songs as they looked at lyrics instead of singing the words.

Christmas Eve was a very long day for me.  But I continued to find the joy in each service.  (The YouTube videos are proof because I really can't stop moving with music!)  Even when my feet were really hurting by the end of the last service (someone aka me thought it a good idea to wear heels for the last 2 Christmas Eve services, because ...???) I almost ran with joy to the front of the church seeing the candles were all still lit on the altar so I could grab a few photos before the candles were all extinguished.

It is a few days later and I am still trying to find ways to keep up the celebration of Christ's birth.  I'm not always successful, that's for sure!  But I am doing the best that I can.

People like to joke about the Instagram vs. Reality posts.  But, you know, this year, I'm not sure I would want to trade the Reality of Christmas Eve 2021 for anything.  With all that has been going on in the world, it was the best way to celebrate and I am glad that we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment