Pages

Monday, March 7, 2022

Merging is an Ongoing Journey - Sharing the Story of a Hand-Me-Down

Yesterday I got to share a bit of something personal during our Moment for the Young and Young at Heart.  I talked about hand-me-downs, which on the whole typically have a more negative connotation to them.  When I polled the congregation there was a mix of joy at thinking about hand-me-downs, some people who immediately shook their heads no or made thumbs-downs signs, and others who indicated it depended on what the item was.

But then I got to share about a very special to me hand-me-down.

My anointing oil

This is the jar of anointing oil that Pastor Dorsey left for me when she was appointed to another set of churches in another district.  This was the oil she used week after week during prayer time.  When we were invited forward for time with God on holy ground.

I have had several different pastors in my life who have taught me a variety of things, from being able to speak and give sermons, to being a leader in the church, to use of technology, and so on.  It was Pastor Dorsey who encouraged me to get more involved not just at the local level but at the district and eventually conference level.  I learned a lot from her and was blessed so much by her leadership.

This anointing oil sat in the lectern at Wappingers, where Pastor Dorsey left it for me.  I was always one of the first people in at church the next year and a half and when I felt I needed it, I would pray over the oil and anoint myself seeking God's guidance and strength for whatever was going on.

On my last sermon in October, 2019, I brought the oil out from its hiding place and anointed everyone in the congregation that day as we were all well on our way to being part of a new congregation.  It was an emotional moment for everyone.  And from then on, the oil sat in my house on a piece of furniture by the front door - so it is one of the last things I see and contemplate on when I leave the house every day.

It made its reappearance in public yesterday as I shared just how special that hand-me-down was.  Along with the other important hand-me-down, the Bible.

We do tend to think negatively about hand-me-downs.

But sometimes we get those things that mean a lot to us handed down.

Like the oil.

And like the Bible.  God handed all that stuff down to us so that we could learn, grow, and be encouraged.

It was hard to share the story, but I was able to.  With God's help.

Thank you God for the blessings of hand-me-downs.

No comments:

Post a Comment