Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2021

Thursday Thoughts - I forgot how to rest

Haha!  Sounds funny, right?  Or maybe familiar?

I got to thinking about this the other day when, in my Timehop app (shows me things from the past on the day, whether it was a social media post or a photo I took) showed me my blog entry was entitled "Merging Is A New Journey - I Feel Bad For Resting."

That has been on my mind this entire week because, well, I have learned that I am totally not resting any more.

Sparkle, on the other hand, does a great job of resting (and trying to kick me off my own bed).

Sparkle Shows what Rest Is (4/14/2021)


So, I have gone back through some of my old Merging is a New Journey blog series as I was working on compiling them and reflecting on the entries.  For those curious, here is the link to my original post:
https://jennmaristimc17.blogspot.com/2020/04/merging-is-new-journey-i-feel-bad-for.html

And here is what I had to say when I reflected on this post many months later:

"I still can not cut ham to save my life.  Let’s just get that out of the way right now.  I laughed out loud as I re-read this particular entry.  It was very strange not doing anything when I would be so involved in every worship service in some way during Holy Week.  But, as I closed out the entry, I also reflected on the need for rest (Sabbath).  As I’m going through these entries now, I am realizing that it was good for me to rest, so that once I did start getting involved in things, I would do it after having rested and been ready to tackle something new."

I now do the opposite of rest.

Granted, I did have a period of rest.  About 7 months of rest.  But then, I stopped resting and got back to my usual busy self.  At least in terms of church.

I remained busy in other parts of my life.  Like today, I'm post vaccine shot 2 and a lot of people reported having various side effects from it.  Me?  Well, I'm tired and would probably liked to have gone back to bed this morning.  But, I went to work.  Not because I felt like work would implode if I wasn't there.  But because I felt like, aside from being tired, I was okay to work and I should work.

Should it always be like that?  Should we have a mindset of forgetting to rest?  Probably not.  But for many of us, either how we were brought up or taught by a mentor or for some other reason, it is hard to rest.  It is hard to not feel bad about resting.  But it is something we need to do from time to time.

I sometimes joke that I forgot to rest.  But I need to remember how to rest.  In order to be the best I can be instead of being half of what I could be for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment