Pages

Monday, August 30, 2021

Merging is an Ongoing Journey - Funny Family Jokes

 So, yesterday was the 5th Sunday of the month, which meant State of the Church reports.  I've done three of them now, January, May, and August.  The first one we were still meeting online so I sent a video in but the other 2 I have done in person.

Giving my report from the Church Council perspective 8/29/2021

So, here's what happened.  We had a couple video reports which were to be followed by 4 people who were giving in-person reports (one of whom was me).  So two people gave their reports.  Then I looked at the other person who had a report to give and indicated they should go before me.  And they did.  Then I went to get up to give my report and someone else asked if they could give a report, so I sat down.  I went to get up a second time, and someone else wanted to give a report.

By this time it was becoming just silly and when I got up the third time, someone else joked they had something to say.  Which just was so funny! (And then when I was done with my report, everyone sang Happy Birthday to me, which was so nice!)

As I was relaying this story to a friend via email last night, it made me really think about family.  I know I've talked about being part of a church family and how I really have grown into feeling the PUMC congregation as my church family.  But I was mostly focused on the caring aspect of family.  But, reality is, with family you can joke too.

In our house when one of us says we can't do something that one literally can't do, we say "Oh that's a poor excuse."  Not being mean, but realizing that it isn't something that could be done.  Like if I'm trying to carry multiple things, sometimes I say "I'm not an octopus, I only have 2 hands" someone is likely to say "Oh that's a poor excuse!" Being funny.

In church it seems the same type of thing happens.  Like when I was trying to give my report and other people had reports and kept jumping in until someone joked about having a report. Family, no matter how it comes across, is not just for caring.  You sometimes argue with family.  And you also joke with family.  

I am glad that I've come across the joking with my church family.  Because it has made for a great memory and one I am still laughing about, even with the craziness of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment