Pages

Monday, August 2, 2021

Merging is an Ongoing Journey - And I Do Too Much

In small church, those who are there tend to do a lot, because, well, there's no one else to do stuff.  On any one Sunday, I would run either the computer or the sound system (or both), sometimes be liturgist, 1st Sunday of the month I would assist with Communion, and every once and awhile do some of this while also preaching.  And then after church I would count the offering.

One would think in a larger church, I would not be doing so much at one time.  But, in addition to being too hard on myself, I also do too much.  Or what some might think is too much.

The calm before the crazy (8/1/2021)

So yesterday I sang with choir. This is nothing new.  Since choir came back in June, I've been singing every week.  And choir continued through July and now August, which I guess never happened before but 2021 is the year for new things so it's kind of cool being able to keep singing.

But yesterday I also was in the back of the church running some of the streaming technology and training someone else on it as well.  It's not an impossible feat, because others have done the same.  But, I guess for me the issue is figuring out the best timing so I'm not running to get in place, then struggling to breathe while singing, and then running to get back.  All with a dress on.  Which, amazingly, I didn't trip on!  (I'm counting my blessings where I can.)

What was different this time was that I wasn't doing a bunch of things because I had to, but because I wanted to.  I love choir and the people who are part of choir.  I love singing.  I love the tech people I work with and being able to help provide church to those who aren't able to make it to church or aren't comfortable now with being around a lot of people.

Yes, some may say I do too much.  But, I'm learning some limits.  But I am glad to be able to do those things.  It does not feel so much of a burden instead, I'm involved and I like being able to do what I can to share things I love and help others experience worship even if they aren't in the 4 walls of the sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment