Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2021

Thursday Thoughts - If X, Then Y Wouldn't Have Happened

I was watching a repeat of an episode of Rizzoli and Isles from the last season, and at the end of the episode, Maura was troubled by a good outcome of case she was treating at a clinic - a baby who was determined to be destined for death, looked to now be on the mend.  Maura trusts science, and has difficulty seeing things outside of plain facts.  Jane brings her to a park and says sometimes when she is in a similar situation, she "plays a game" and thinks about the positive "what ifs."  In Maura's case, if she hadn't had a brain injury, she wouldn't have wanted to pursue life outside of her job as a coroner, in which case she wouldn't have met this terminal child, and led the child on a path to healing.

This got me thinking to my own "what ifs."  Usually when I do this, though, I focus on the negative aspects.  Like, if I hadn't broken off my engagement all those years ago, I would be married and I wouldn't have been hurt by others who I thought might have liked me. 

But let me turn that around.

If I hadn't broken off my engagement, I wouldn't have become as involved in church as I became and as I am now.  If I hadn't broken off my engagement, I wouldn't have become as involved in the district and conference as I am now.  If I hadn't broken off my engagement, I wouldn't have gone back to grad school and earned multiple Master's degrees.

If we hadn't merged, I would not have been able to reconnect with people, and become friends who are more like family.

Polly and I, a former teacher who I am blessed to call my friend and part of my church family


If we hadn't merged, I would still not be singing except the occasional hymn in church, once we were allowed to sing with masks on.  If we hadn't merged, I wouldn't have been involved in church in the ways I am now.  If we hadn't merged, I wouldn't have had more church family like I do now.  If we hadn't merged, I wouldn't have found a person with the same musical tastes as me.  If we hadn't merged, I would never have rediscovered my love for organ music, which I have passed along (at least for now) to my niece.

If I hadn't followed where God was leading me, I would be in a much different place.

And though I still struggle with many things, I know that things happen for a reason.  I may never know the reason.  It may take months or years to figure out the reason, or at least come to terms with a reason.  But God has a reason.  And I am so glad for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment